Thursday, October 20, 2011

Collard Greens with Bacon

My Midwestern in laws just came to visit. I wanted to let them experience "Southern Collards" without some of the not so good for you "Fat". I found this recipe after a quick search at Simply Recipes

4 strips thick-sliced bacon, sliced crosswise into 1/2 inch pieces
1 small yellow onion, chopped ( I used a red onion)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Several dashes hot sauce ( I did not use because my father in law doesn't like hot items)
1/4 cup apple-cider vinegar
2 pounds of collard greens, stems removed, sliced into 3 inch strips
1 cup chicken broth (or water). (I used beef broth.)

1. Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Cook the bacon in the skillet until it just begins to brown round the edges,stirring occasionally. Add the onions until they have softened and are just starting to brown.

2. Add the garlic, salt, peper, sugar and hot sauce. Cook until the garlic becomes fragrant, about a minute. Add the vinegar, bring to a simmer, and cook until the amount of liquid is reduced by half, stirring and scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pot.

3. Add teh collard greens and the chicken broth (or water) and bring to a simmer. Reduce the temp to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasiionally, until the collard greens have wilted and have lost their brightness. Season to taste with additional vinegar and hot sauce. Serve with some of the pan juices from the pan.

Serves 6 to 8

My husband and I loved the recipe in fact he told me not to lose it. My in laws felt the collards looked too much like spinach. They tried it, but did not go back for seconds.

No comments: