Thursday, September 6, 2012

Banana Pepper Rings

My husband in his infinite wisdom planted about 8 banana pepper plants this year and they have abundantly produced. We have eaten some and given a lot away to his co-worker.  Last week I canned them in pickle relish.  Today I found this recipe on simplycanning.com for Banana Pepper Rings so I just canned 9 pint jars.

Ingredients

  • 2½-3 pounds mild peppers.  
  • 5 cups cider vinegar 
  • 1¼ cups water
  • 5 teaspoons canning salt
  • 2 tablespoons celery seed
  • 4 tablespoons mustard seed

Wash peppers well and remove stem end; If using bell peppers remove seeds and centers.   Slice peppers into ¼-inch thick rings.   I decided to do some jars with specific types of peppers.  For example one jar had all bell peppers another all Anaheim.  I also like mixing them up too.  It is just your preference.

These are the bell peppers ready for the jar.
In a large pot, combine the cider vinegar, water and salt; heat to boiling.

Place ½ tablespoon celery seed and 1 tablespoon mustard seed in each 1 pint jar.  1/2 that amount for half pints.

Pack peppers into jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
Cover with vinegar solution.  leaving 1/2 inch head space.

Release air bubbles and pack and process according to water bath canning instructions. Processing time for me is  10 minutes.

No comments: